Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 24: July 17, Goodbye Africa

This is our last day in Africa, and this afternoon we have a flight to London, and then back to the states. We had one last trip down to the Waterfront today for some last minute shopping:Ostrich pate anyone?
And as a final farewell, Table Mountain showed us a little tablecloth effect just to see us off:
Africa has been amazing... it has far surpassed everything I expected it to be. It surprised me, warmed me, chilled me, amused me, and showed me how large and how small the world can be.

I look forward to seeing friends and family again, though I know it will be quite a culture shock when I return. I have new beginnings to look forward to, in my personal life and my professional life. Reality is going to be quite a culture shock, and it's beginning to come crashing back into my head. But the entire previous 18 months of my life has been quite shocking, and I'm learning that life - if nothing else - is teaching me to roll with the punches, and to appreciate the joys of life when they are near.

I will miss Joanne, Mary Anne, Kathryn, Joe, Carol, Bob, Kathleen, Pam, Katie, Nancy, Sel and Bev. I will miss Godfrey, Priscilla and Kim. But I've learned that missing people is also about recognizing the value of their presence in your life when they are around, and I have appreciated - and loved - every moment with these wonderful people.

I'm sitting on the plane in Cape Town now, heading to London, with a bag full of souvenirs, a camera full of photos, and a head full of memories... and a lot of mixed feelings. I loathe to leave, but am ready to see the people that I love. I may be homeless, but home is where the heart is, so I'm heading home.

Thank you, Africa... I will always carry a piece of you with me in my heart.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS WAS TRULY A JOY TO READ. I'VE BEEN THERE BUT NEVER TAKE THE TIME OR MAKE THE EFFORT TO WRITE ABOUT IT AS ONLY YOU CAN. THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK.
LOVED THE PICS AS WELL.PLEASE POST ALL YOUR TRIPS .